10 tips in the spring
Every season has its charms. In the spring, we enjoy the warm sunshine, and nature coming back to life. Below are 10 things we are looking forward to doing in Kalmar come spring.
- First flowers of spring. Each year is equally splendid. The lovely bloom of spring can be enjoyed on the remains of the fortifications, on Flora’s hill, and in the city park.
- Sitting in a sunny outdoor café. There is something very special about sitting down with a coffee, turning your face to the sun. Maybe it’s time for the first outdoor ice cream of the year?
- Seasonal exhibitions opening. Keep an eye on new exciting season exhibitions that open in the spring. From March 31 you can see the exhibition about Ester Blenda Nwho was a star reporter and an adventurer. at Kalmar Castle.
- The comeback of Hitta ut. The orienteering project that came to Kalmar in 2020 was a major success, and from May 4, you are welcome to go roaming outdoors in search of new checkpoints.
- Krusenstienska gården opening. From April 23, you are welcome to enjoy this beautiful garden once again, whether in the café or by bringing your own picnic basket and blanket.
- Trees in bloom. The cherry trees are a particular favourite, and another is the rare handkerchief tree, crowned with large white flowers in May. Find them at the town hall courtyard and in the city park.
- Spreading your picnic blanket. Kalmar has a wealth of good picnic spots, for example near Kalmar Castle, in Kalmarsundsparken, and at Skälby and Lindö.
- Öland ferry spring premiere. From May to September the M/S Dessi runs between Kalmar and Färjestaden. Why not bring your bike, and head up to the alvar to see some orchids?
- Treetop obstacle course opening for the season. In April the Upzone Adventure Park normally opens.
- Lovely hiking and biking trails. Kalmar has a wide net of scenic trails to enjoy. Our top tip is to explore the Kalmarsund trail!