9 tips for summer
Kalmar offers a lot to see and do, all year round. Below are a few things that we are really looking forward to this summer.
- Nice days at the beach. Regardless of whether you prefer peace and quiet or plenty of action and activities, there are several nice beaches and baths to choose between. Don’t forget to pick one where you can easily maintain a safe distance to others.
- A view from the water. Kalmar offers excellent opportunities for canoeing or kayaking, both in town and along the extensive coastline. You could also go for a guided tour with the Kalmarflundran sightseeing boat, or catch the bike ferry across to Öland.
- Adventurous activities. This summer, you have the chance to try everything from snorkelling to stand up paddle board or wakeboard. At Stensö, you can swing between the trees along the treetop obstacle course, and at A World of Dinosaurs, you can get close to some very lifelike beasts from the past.
- Gorgeous outdoor expeditions. Kalmar has many scenic places to visit, and many first-class trails to enjoy. A top tip is to explore the Kalmarsund trail.
- Cosy outdoor meals. The Cafés and restaurants of Kalmar have pleasant outdoor seating areas for anyone looking to enjoy a tasty meal. Alternately, you can opt for takeaway, and spread your picnic blanket in one of the city’s parks.
- Attractions with fun activities for kids. In the summer, the art museum relocates its art lab to the city park. At Kalmar Castle, you can take part in the Vasa Game, and the county museum has the exhibition Superkronan on display.
- Farm shop and country café tour. Around Kalmar are several inviting country cafés to visit. In addition, there is a host of farm shops, which are perfect to stop at in case you want to buy some local delicacies.
- Exciting art. This summer offers, among other things, some amazing sand sculptures at the Kalmarsund bath, the captivating photographic art of Erik Johansson at Kalmar Castle, and several interesting exhibitions at the Kalmar Art Museum.
- Peaceful gardens. In Old town you will find the Krusenstierna garden, where you can both enjoy a nice cup of coffee and a wealth of splendid flowers. There is no need to go far to find yet another lovely garden. Right nearby, a new rose garden is laid out, opening in July.