7 cafés in historic venues
Kalmar has many cosy cafés. In addition, several of them are located in historical buildings or venues, which are an experience in themselves. Below are a few tips.
- Krusenstiernska gården is located in the old town, and traces its roots back to the 18th century. Come here for a coffee in a green oasis, and the home-grown garden produce used in the tasty baked goods. Every now and then, various events are also hosted here.
- Slottsrestaurangen can be found at Kalmar Castle, dating back to the 12th century. The restaurant offers a great range of home-baked treats. Take the opportunity to explore the castle while you are here.
- Café Lotsutkiken lies next to the sea, and includes both a restaurant and café. The building was used as a pilot’s lookout before a new pilot station was built in 1955.
- Hamnkaféet is one of Kalmar’s oldest cafés, dating back to the 1930s. Have a coffee here, or a light lunch. In the summer, there are two outdoor seating areas available – one with a view of Kalmarsund, and another in the lush green backyard.
- Kullzenska caféet is a cosy café on the upstairs floor of the Kullzén house, built in the 1770s. The building is very well preserved, and the furniture in the café has been carefully selected to match the interior as it would have been, back in the 19th century. The menu includes everything from sweet treats to savoury pies and sandwiches.
- Västerport Bar & Bistro is located inside the old city wall, built in the 17th century. Have a coffee in this cosy venue, or sit down in the patio.
- Restaurang & Kafé Ångkvarnen is at the top floor of the Kalmar county museum, with a view of Kalmarsund. This place used to be an old steam mill. It was built as early as 1847, and for a while, it was the largest privately owned steam mill in Scandinavia. Take the opportunity to look at the museum’s exhibitions while you’re here for a tasty treat or some lunch.